Extracts from Appendix C: “Resources for Storytelling”
We have compiled a short list of places (at time of publication) where some resources are available. We suggest you stay alert, as we do, for any other places which you may find when you are travelling around. Try toy shops, craft markets, craft supply shops, antique shops to find unique and helpful storytelling aids and resources.
- The Puppet Maker, 77 George Street, The Rocks, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Hand Puppets:
- (mostly Australian Animals) may be obtained wholesale from:
- Jozzies Factory, 78 Parramatta Road, Stanmore NSW 2048
- Retail Outlets:
- Australian Geographic Shops, Shops Australia wide
- Chris Rankin’s Playhouse: the Kindergarten Toy Shop, 152 Clarence Street, Sydney 2001, Phone: 02 9299-5498
- Wombats Too, Level 2, Harbourside, Darling Harbour, Sydney, 2009.
- Abracadabra Toys, 321 Doncaster Road, Balwyn North, 3104. Phone: 03 9857 8858
- Books Illustrated: (Open noon to 5pm, Sunday to Thursday) Gasworks Park, 15 Graham Street, Albert Park, 3206. (They have a very comprehensive range of insect, bird, fish and animal puppets which are sold accompanied by a story. Write to them for their catalogue.)
- Brian Brown, 18 Bardoc Crt, Rockingham, 6168. Phone: 09 9592 3060
- Finger Puppets:
Chris Rankin’s Playhouse: the Kindergarten Toy Shop, 152 Clarence Street, Sydney, 2001. Phone: 02 9299-5498
- Ikea Shops in major cities carry puppets and portable puppet theatre for children. Sydney outlets: Blacktown 02 963 9222; Moore Park 02 9313 6400; Gordon 02 9498 3822
- Toyworld – Castle Hill, Shop 449, Castle Towers Shopping Centre, Castle Hill 2154. Phone: 02 9680 3493
Toyworld – Brookvale, Shop 88, Waringah Mall, Brookvale 2100. Phone: 02 9938 6533
Toyworld – Roselands, Shop 32, Roselands Shopping Centre, Roselands 2196. Phone: 02 9759 6722
Toyworld – Mona Vale, Bungan Court, Mona Vale. 2103 Phone: 02 9609 7230
- We have found some finger puppets in some of the major retailers such as Big W, Target and K Mart from time to time.
- Craft Shops
- Berice found some large finger puppets of native animals and birds when looking round the craft shops in the Hunter Valley. Because we cannot guarantee supply they are not listed. We suggest you investigate the craft shops and galleries in your area.
- Finger Puppets: Sets of puppets and story book now available at your local newsagent or, try Finger Puppet Book Series, Pancake Press, 467 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne 3207.
- Puppet patterns
- Patterns for making puppets can be found in the craft section of most dressmaking pattern books at all good fabric shops. (eg Butterick, Simplicity, Vogue, Burda).
- Fabrics for puppets
- Felt and fake fur of all types, and accessories (such as eyes and whiskers) are available at any comprehensive fabric retailer (especially craft suppliers).
- Spotlight Fabrics Has retail outlets all over Sydney and stocks a comprehensive supply of these fabrics.
- Primitive Instruments and National costumes
- Community Aid Abroad Manly 36 The Corso, Manly 2095. Phone: 02 9977 5391
Community Aid Abroad Sydney City
Shop CM.05 Centrepoint, Sydney 2000. Phone: 02 9231 4106
Other Community Aid Abroad shops – Australia wide.
Community Aid Abroad Shop (Oxfam), Room 101, Lagonda House, 203 Karangahape Road, Auckland, New Zealand Phone: 64 09 358 1480
- Australian Geographic Shops, Shops Australia wide
- Out of Africa Shop, Shop 427, Harbourside, Darling Harbour, Sydney 2009 Phone/fax: 02 9212 7035 (other shops Australia-wide)
- Out of Africa Shop, Victoria Park Markets, Victoria Park, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Other Musical Instruments
- Good quality musical instruments of all types are available at all good music stores, everywhere. For other instruments, such as good quality tubular bells and chimes, tongue drums and elephant drums, write or phone:
- Fascinating Rhythmm PO Box 10-167, Phillipstown, Christchurch, New Zealand Phone: 64 03 3666 856
- Other Storytelling Aids
- For magnetic whiteboards, stick-up characters, felt boards, books of plays, dress-up clothes, wafty wings, let’s pretend gear. Sets of hand-made finger puppets knitted by Margaret Somerville, stocked by: Chris Rankin’s Playhouse – the Kindergarten Toy Shop, 152 Clarence Street, Sydney, 2001. Phone: 02 9299-5498
- Special Educational Resources
- All the following available from: Ruth Atkinson, Cheshire Design, Phone 02 4575 4077, fax 02 4575 4078, or mob 015 259 063. Some may be ordered from good bookshops, Australia-wide.
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Story template pack 1. Three Stories, templates or teaching notes. Wizard Books, Ballarat, VIC. 1997
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Story template pack 2. Five Rhymes. Wizard Books, Ballarat, VIC. 1997
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Stick puppet template pack 1. Templates for 16 farm/zoo animal stick puppets. Wizard Books, Ballarat, VIC. 1997
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Rhyme Template Pack. Wizard Books, Ballarat, VIC. 1997
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Beginner Feltboard Template Pack. 1997 Feltboard templates which use basic shapes and colours to make simple feltboard picture puzzles: Bodies and faces, Places to live, Transport. Available from Ruth Atkinson.
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Cutting and Folding Story Pack. 1997 Available from Ruth Atkinson.
- Atkinson, Ruth and Brett. Traditional Rhyme Template Pack. Wizard Books, Ballarat, VIC. 1998